I so dearly love a cottage in winter!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Boudoir de Madam Lu Before and After

It is good to be back at the cottage after an amazing break!  With much laundry and other such trifles to accomplish in a timely fashion, I thought I would show you another remodel at Cottage De Haven.  I thoroughly enjoyed Madam Lu's little boudoir update and hope you enjoy it as well.

 I must tell you that at the time of this remodel, I was months away from seeking Sir's dismissive reply to my bloggish ideas.  That said, I did not take pictures of her actual room before the updates.  This is the spare bedroom and it is an exact replica of Madam Lu's in colors, drapery, and over-all mood.




 The dingy brown-ish pink flat walls were an abomination to that glorious shade of cold cheeks, lovely roses, and frothy-sugared poufs of cotton candy.



 As a side note, this bed was my first "big girl" bed and my dad made it for me.  The rest of the furniture in this room belonged to Sir's dear grandmother who left us much too soon, and it is our honor and delight to have some of her things!



 Do not be fooled by the adorable quilty-mismatched looks...this room is disastrous...and remember...an exact replica of Madam Lu's...




 And now...entering...Madam Lu's Suite of Girlhood Realized!!!





With two lively and sugary-sweet shades of the greatest color on earth...


The vintage lamp came with the house...the only thing worth saving in this room!




Sir added the amazing crown molding and chair rail.  I chose to put the rail 1/3 of the way down the wall because the dark pink shows off all of her white furniture perfectly!  We replaced the shiny brass door knobs with these antiqued knobs (which we have been doing room by room as we remodel) and I simply painted the hinges (as I have done in the entire house) with a flat black paint.  You would never know and we did not have to replace any hinges.  The door on the left is the entry door and the one on the right is to Madam Lu's bathroom.

Her walk-in closet.  Don't judge...it is a good place to stash all of the baby stuff...for now...


 Such cute shoes...ahhh!



 Built-in dresser...I really DO love the bones of this place!

AND NOW FOR THE PIECE DE LA RESISTANCE.......

This is Madam Lu's Cornice.  It was hand made, piece by piece, by her Opa.  It is my every childhood dollhouse dream in the flesh...or wood...




Our Dah-ling Madam Lamb painted each cottage uniquely.



 What is hard to see in these pictures is that each little trim piece is its own tiny piece of wood.  Nothing on these homes is flat.  Opa glued each roof shingle on individually...it is more than amazing...


 Now you can see the closet door and the entry door.  Madam Lu's bedding was a joy to find...it combines classic plaids, swiss dot, toile, and other patterns in a white, light, and dark pink array of beauty!  Opa also made the cute little step stool so Sir E and Sir M could climb up and look over the rails to see their sweet baby sister!


 A cozy little changing table and dresser corner...The giraffe was mine as a little girl...the dresser was a find...we got it for next to nothing....I think it was an obnoxious color of blue...and Sir added some adorable-fancy trim around each drawer, painted it white, and put some new flowery little handles on it...



 Her "reading nook" as defined by these Martha Stewart Poufs.  In the future I hope to add a low bookshelf and a dainty snuggle-couch to read upon with her.  My grandmother made the beautiful fairy quilt.  The hippo was a gift for my first dear-one and as he looks over my little girl, I know my dear one is as well.  The rocker was a gift from my parents and I have rocked all of my children in it...it is valued very highly for that reason.

  My Dearest Madam Angela made this adorable banner for Madam Lu's First Birthday.  It is perfection!





I find myself sighing a little each time I enter this space.  It is the only one finished on the entire floor and it is my delight.  I know this room will continue to grow and mature along with the little sprite that inhabits it.  I will document the first along with you and the latter in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Tara,
    I love it and can't wait till little Gracie has her own 1st room! I'm sure it will be pink and probably purple! So glad the 2 pieces I made for you fit into the scheme of it all! Can't wait to see more!
    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,
    I love it and can't wait till little Gracie has her own 1st room! I'm sure it will be pink and probably purple! So glad the 2 pieces I made for you fit into the scheme of it all! Can't wait to see more!
    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete