I so dearly love a cottage in winter!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Patience Pays

Hello friends!

Since I last checked in our basement has been dried, the carpet and yuck is all gone, and other than laundry, I have forgotten about the whole thing.  Ahhhh.

There are finally some signs of life in my flower beds.  I think the slow start has actually been beneficial to them.  I, at least, am able to take  my time enjoying each thing in its season.  Last year it was so warm-so fast, that everything bloomed all at once and then it was just H.O.T.  Barf!

My most exciting news is that I have my first harvest of my special White Lilacs.  About 6 years ago my mom dropped off three tiny pot with 3 different varieties of teeny-tiny lilac sticks.  We were still living in our first home, but getting ready to move so I left them in pots that year.  One, alas, did not survive...and then there were two...

They continued to grow and grow at our second home.  I am a devout follower of the "relocation" theory on flowers.  I have peonies, for example, that came with our first home (50 yr old peonies, I would guess) and have been moved to each home.  I also have the traveling lilacs.

This is just to give you an idea of what the plants looked like their SECOND year.  When we planted them at the "new" house this is how big they were.
Here are my little dears now.  This is AFTER I harvested all of the flowers from the white lilac on the left.  They are situated right outside of our bedroom windows.  The white one is on Sir's side and the classic purple is on my side.

Our room smells AMAZING!

The harvest was not huge, but it is the first, so we will enjoy what we have!

Oh My Delight!

The red bud and one of the traditional apples are blooming.

I love this little nook in our yard!

My famous (well, only to me) hydrangeas are trimmed and growing.

The new lillie bed is thriving.

You can see the soft little fronds of one of my peonies...one of my vintage peonies...and the climbing roses are already going crazy.


A short post today because Madam Lu is very sick and like a baby orangutang (but less hairy) she needs to cling to me.

We'll chat again soon!

1 comment:

  1. you give me such hope for the "sticks" of old fashioned lilacs i bought bare root and potted up this winter. they seem to be growing nicely...and now i look forward to 6 years from now (since i was thinking maybe 20, when the house gets deeded to me from my parents). i've heard so much about your famous hydrangeas-i can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete