I so dearly love a cottage in winter!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Progress in Suite de la Sirs' and Hearth Room

So much to tell you about and to show you today!  None of it is done, but oh, joy!, at least we ARE accomplishing things!!!

This is just to remind you of what it looked like in the beginning.  You are, however, missing out on the "hamster cage" smell that accompanies a bathroom -shared by two boys- with a carpeted floor!  YUM!

After.  These stripes took FOREVER.  I do not recommend this project to anyone.  Just find striped wall-paper.

This is another before.  Everything in this house has two layers (as you will notice).  This is the amazing vinyl layer that was lurking under the carpet.  How delightful!
And this is the new slate floor.  So fresh and clean.  So "unscented".
Again, a "before" of the suite.
And an after.  I had so much mudding and sanding to do to fix the drywall after the removal of the dastardly paper (s) two layers....this actually took a very long time.  As you can see, I only did the area around their bed.  This way I could put the beds back and have freed up the rest of the room to do section by section, wall repairing, sanding, painting, striping, and restoring.  Believe it or not, I thought I would have this project done this winter...ha!


I painted the entire ceiling...they are such a drag to paint.  Because the room is to be darkish in color and is pretty sparse in ceiling light, I painted the ceiling in a basic bright white semi-gloss.  The semi gloss reflects any available light and helps to brighten the space.  The wall color in this part of the room is Kensington Blue (Benjamin Moore).  It is a nice warn-vintage-ish kind of blue...manly with a hint of military-esq


Sir M's bed.  He is very particular about how it is made (if only he were as particular about putting things away).  The stripes:  "Why," you might ask, "did you waste time striping the walls where you were putting their beds?"  The answer is; I thought the Sir's would enjoy them.  It gives them some visual interest on what would otherwise be a plain one-tone wall.

One of my favorite things about a cape cod are these amazing angled walls.  I think the stripes really show them off!  Yes, the vent still needs to be sand-blasted and re-painted.

For a break we went to The Muster on the Saint Mary's at our Historic Fort Wayne this weekend.  The sirs were knighted by Mary Queen of Scots for their braverism at The Battle of Ticonderoga.  They were French Fur Traders for this event.
She was beautiful!

She "doesn't take too kindly to strangers".  Who needs an attack dog with this gun-slinger around?
And finally the room I will begin to call the "hearth room" formerly known as the kitchen and family room.  The separation of flooring (awkward) made the rooms defined and yet lacking cohesiveness.

The Dining Room Table has finally, after 5 yrs of ownership, made its way to a real Dining Room.  I can't wait to show you our new eating area!  This room is thankfully dark as I have not even BEGUN to FATHOM a remodel for this whole wing of the house.  Other than removing the carpet months ago, it has not been touched.

Oh yes, and we got a new patio door.  The old one was completely rotting and barely opened/closed.  The dogs had run through the screen so many times it looked like a door on an old camper rotting in some forgotten woods.  The old muttons were outside the glass, so to clean the door I had to pull them off.  The new door is fiberglass and the muttons are on the inside.  The screen works (and has a lifetime free replacement warranty-even against idiot dogs that your husband loves) and the door opens and closes (also with a lifetime warranty) so that is NICE.

This is monumental, dear ones.  The room is completely carpet free at this point.  Sir is so proud of his hard work!

It is amazing how big the room seems when emptied.  With this area plus the mudroom and dining room you have the size of our entire first house!

Always leave your mark on a home.  Always.  I have left our info at each of our homes in a few spots.  It is a way to bind you and your mark on a home forever.  The home I grew up in had some info from the original owners in a few spots and I adored it.  We were only the second owners of that house and my mom left little tidbits about us in it.  In that way, my childhood lives forever.

Yep, I just wrote it in the middle of the floor.  But years from now, if someone ever rips out the old hardwood (dolts they will be) they will read all about this family from long ago.

OOOOOOH What is this?  Sweet Chocolate For Breakfast!!!!!  It is gorgeous, fabulous, clean, delightful WOOD!!!!!

Sir M woke up early this morning and started to lay some flooring.  I guess he likes the angled look?  Perhaps a budding artist?

Esther and Daisy are really exhausted by all of this.

NO, she did not nearly cut her tail off.  She laid it neatly across the bottom of the freshly painted hearth.  Dear, dear Daisy.
With that, I am off my friends.  I hear the UPS guy.  Delivering my new Hearth Room table????  Much to do today.  I will keep you updated on our progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment