I so dearly love a cottage in winter!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Reusing Candle Waste, Fall Transistions, and a Little Woe

Some wee little projects.....
So, what do you do with your candles when the wicks are gone?  I always melt the extra wax out of the jars so that I can reuse the jars....but, after letting the good smelling wax simmer on the stove for a day, it just gets thrown away. 
Well, why not make more candles????  There are some pretty complex instructions for making new wicks...but I thought "what would a prairie chick do?"  I mean, they may not have boric acid laying around....so what if I just braid some twine...dip it in the wax and let it dry....
They only took about 20 seconds to dry...
And then I poured the wax back into the jars...
See all of their little wicks....
They cooled to a nice grassy green color that is perfect in the master suite...Note...I am attracted to very similar fragrances...fresh linen, cotton, etc.  So, when I mixed all of the waxes together, the smell is fresh and fine.  I would NOT mix tropical breezes with musk and pine needles....
My little helper...she was surprisingly good at cleaning out the empty jars before we refilled them...I just had to put a pile of towels on the floor under her...!

I brought the bakers rack back in...like I do every fall.  This year, I think I finally like the set-up.
And what will all of the bins and baskets be filled with???  Well, I know the topic of "family rooms and toys" is highly controversial.  I see all of the home shows where family rooms make it look like the children are neither to be seen nor heard.  Sorry.  I am all for chick, but kids DO live here.  And it is just as much their area as it is mine.  And I will have the rest of my life to have serious furniture and collections and vignettes...for this brief moment in my life toys will have attractive storage, but they will be a part of the room....notice Madam Lu's little kitchen adjacent to mine?  See how perfectly it nestles in the bay window?  The bins will be filled with toys, books, etc.  You can see in the previous picture that the bottom crate is already staged....Say "hello" to Heinrich, my handsome boy....

Sometimes it is nice to have someone older, wiser, and ready with a hug to tell your woes to.....

2 comments:

  1. Just last night, I used up my bits and pieces of burned-out candles. I just found your blog (thinking of painting some floors and my search for inspiration brought me to you). In my reading, I noticed you enjoy tent camping, too. So, you might like what I did with my old wax. I made firestarters, using cardboard egg crates, DRYER LINT, and the melted wax. Stuff the lint in to the egg cups, fill up with melted wax, and let cool. Then cut them apart. Layer one (or live it up, use two) in the fire, light the cardboard and in theory (since I haven't actually been camping since last night), they're supposed to result in a blazing fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    I LOVE your idea for firestarters!!! I will give it a try for sure! I bet they smell really good when they burn. I am so happy you found my blog and would love to have you "follow" my little world of mayhem!!!! Good luck with your floors. I love mine!

    ReplyDelete