I so dearly love a cottage in winter!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Painting a wood subfloor

 1. Rip out nasty carpet.
 2. Pull out all nails and staples.  Fill holes and major cracks. (I used dry-wall filler because I had it handy)
3. Begin priming.  (I used 2 coats of old semi-gloss I had laying about)
 4. Draw your pattern.  I scribbled the squares that were to be black, so when I painted the white, I did not get confused.
 5. I free handed the white squares first.  2 coats.  Then the black (also free handed) 2 coats.
 6. I used semi-gloss for the white paint.  This room is small-ish and I like the way it reflects light.  The black paint is satin.  I wanted a bit less shine to "casual" the space up (too much shine on the floor would have looked formal-ish).
 7. Now to re-measure and hand paint the green argyle pattern (semi-gloss for a "pop" over the black squares).  The green relief color really makes the room more friendly and personal.
Tah-Dah!

I can't wait until you see this all put together!!!  The walls are done, the ceiling (other than the beams) is done, and the furniture is back in the room.  I am really starting to dig it!

2 comments:

  1. make sure you put ez glides on the furniture feet!!! you know, so you don't have to do this again in a year. ;)

    ReplyDelete